Thin Film Engineer
Position: Thin Film Engineer
Reports To: Thin Film Manager
A Thin Film Engineer is responsible for design, developing and producing thin film optical coatings. The Thin Films Engineer will use the principles of LEAN and 6S to develop and execute a robust continuous improvement program and is also responsible for developing best practices within the production process.
- Design optical coatings to meet customer and internal specifications
- Develop new optical coatings for production
- Optimize chamber configurations for deposition of precision optical coatings
- Maintain documents and records of processes and procedures relevant to the design, development and production of precision optical coatings
- Report to Thin Film Manager the status and progress of projects assigned in a regular, timely and accurate manner
- Provide technical support in maintaining precision optical coating production
- Develop and implement coating designs and processes that will optimize efficiencies and yields, and minimize costs
- Improve process capability and production volume while maintaining and improving quality standards
- Aid in scheduling of precision optical coatings to meet production delivery targets
- Train production staff in operation of precision optical coating processes
- Participate/coordinate Preventative Maintenance (PM) activities
- Participates in 6S activities which include but are not limited to cleaning, organizing, sweeping, and mopping work area
- Other duties as may be assigned
- Comply with federal, state, and company policies, procedures, and regulations
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to think critically and solve complex problems
- Advanced design skills
- Familiar with commercial design software
- Knowledge of modern coating production processes
- Good communication, organization and math skills
- Minimum BS in Engineering or Science related field; plus minimum of five (5) years’ experience in thin film coatings
- LEAN and Six Sigma knowledge/experience is a plus
Adequate manual dexterity to perform essential functions; ability to work in manufacturing environment.
US Citizenship or permanent residence required.
Edmund Optics shall, in its discretion, modify or adjust the position to meet the company’s changing needs.This job description is not a contract and may be adjusted as deemed appropriate in the employer’s sole discretion.